Monday, May 02, 2005

Yet another California family

Went to register C for Kindergarten at the public elementary school last week. School begins here in mid-August.

Mid-August?

When I was a kid in LA, mid-August was still eons away from the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Labor Day Telethon -- which, for my friends and I, always signaled that summer vacation was coming to an end.

But I digress. After turning over all the necessary paperwork, the enrollment administrator who was scrutinizing whether my atrocious handwriting revealed the correct information on the form, noticed the California address on C's shot record card.

"Oh, are you the California family that bought the house on 13th street?

"Uhh, no."

"Oh, then you must be the family that bought the house on Main street."

"Yep, that's us."

"Well, welcome to our town."

She seemed genuinely happy to greet us. I, on the other hand, was attempting to calculate the ramifications of being the second family to move to our small town from California.

Is this the start of a trend? Will there be California-immigrant backlash? Will people look to our families as the commencement of the invasion of the West Coasties and the end of their peaceful, bucolic existence as they know it.

I must find out who this other Calilfornia family is, and what their intentions are in establishing residence in MY town.

No comments: