Wednesday, January 23, 2008

That's Pulitzer, with a capital "P"

Thus far, having just scratched the surface of my net-excavation into my Wife's maternal genealogy, I've had the rare occasion to utter "Eureka!" but once.

So far.

I mean c'mon, her Mother's maiden name is the most common family name in the country - not to mention the UK, Australia, and New Zealand.

Verified by only two sources (more coming, if people would only check their email more often), it seems my Wife's Great Grandfather's sister (Great Great Aunt) married a fella named James W. Faulkner, making Uncle Jim, her Great Great Uncle.

Now this J.W. cat shared a Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather with two-time Pulitzer Prize winning author, recipient of the Nobel Prize for literature, and one of America's finest novelists, poets and storytellers, William Faulkner.

Faulkner. C'mon, you gotta get excited about this guy. He hung out with Bogie and Bacall and wrote screenplays for Howard Hawks. I personally recall reading "The Sound and the Fury" in high school Sophomore English class, then again in Grad school when I was studying Kurosawa's "Rashomon."

Never read Faulkner?
Shame on you.
I have in the past and will again in the future.
Another thing to thank Mr. Hooper for.

No comments: