Monday, January 05, 2009

Tried to match it, seam by seam, but could not make them fit.

So my 9-year old's first big sewing project with her birthday present Singer was done, signed, boxed and wrapped up in time for the holidays.

It went to my M-i-L for her birthday/Christmas present.

The material came out of a curtain swatch sample book that my wife found at a yard sale for a buck.

The manta ray design, although it reminded me a bit of a certain feminine product that advertises "wings", was inspired by a discussion between my daughter and wife involving the need for blankets to have gripping handles for ease in tucking and body wrapping on cold winter nights.

The blue, wool tie belonged to my M-i-L's daddy.

The love was all my daughters.



The Lost ThoughtI felt a cleaving in my mind
As if my brain had split;
I tried to match it, seam by seam,
But could not make them fit.

The thought behind I strove to join
Unto the thought before,
But sequence ravelled out of reach
Like balls upon a floor.

Emily Dickinson

No comments: