Friday, February 03, 2006

Am I an Okie?

The top question my in-laws get when discussing our move to Oklahoma seems to be, "how's that California son-in-law of yours gettin' on as an Okie?"

This morning I asked myself, am I an Okie? Will I ever be an Okie? What constitutes an Okie's definition of what being an Okie is all about?

Here is the first of a multiple part series on what the small town newspaper in my in-laws home town considers being an Okie.
1. You can properly pronounce Eufaula, Gotebo, Okemah and Chickasha. (I'll add Checotah, since the last American Idol is from there and every network morning news show that interviewed her mispronouned it -- shame on you Katie Couric).

2. You think that people who complain about the wind in their states are sissies.

3. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel. (I'll add that it's also my F-i-L's signal to go out and watch for your neighbors trash cans to go flying by).

4. Your idea of a traffic jam is 10 cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.

5. You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day - within an hour or so.

That's all for now. More later. Too much Okieisms in one blog entry may be hazardous to your health.

No comments: