Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Okie faux paux?

Recently, we celebrated my youngest daughter's birthday over at my in-law's house.

My Mother-in-law brought out a beautiful chocolate bundt cake, decorated with pink frosting and titanium coated packaged sugar decorations.

It looked awful....BUT, since it was what PK asked for, it was what she got.

The cake was tasty when accompanied by a strong cup of joe, the girls just licked the frosting off of their pieces, and we sang several choruses of the HB song, indulging the birthday girl's desire to blow her candles out multiple times.

Eventually, table talk got around to the origin of the cake. Knowing that ready-made bundt cakes are not readilly available even at the get-ready-to-git-n'-go WalMart Supercenter bakery, I haphazardly asked my M-i-L when she found time to bake the bundt.

She smiled, pointed to the freezer and said, "I thawed it out yesterday."

Which leads me to my question for today...
Would serving a chocolate bundt cake that was brought over to my Mother-in-law's house by a well-wishing friend for her Mother's funeral services and has been cooling in the freezer since my wife's Grandmother died to my 3-year old for her birthday, be considered an entertaining faux paux?Now, I know it is a big thing here for friends, neighbors, countrymen...to bring over baked goods and casseroles during the time of a lost loved one. My in-law's kitchen table and counters were brimming with goodies, snacks, and full 10-course meals adorned in saran wrap and foil wrapping during the weeks following my M-i-L's mother's passing.

And rather than toss away what couldn't be consumed in a timely fashion, why not freeze the rest, to be enjoyed later...right?

I'm ignorant to such things and when I asked my wife, who is vastly more knowledgeable of such things, it led to a discussion of such things as behaviors which are most definitely of the faux-paux nature here in the Land of the Red Man.

Here are a couple things that my wife has told me are "faux-ho-ho-ho paux" (her phrasing) in the social circles of Oklahoma society.
  • Including information on a gift registry in your wedding invitations.
  • Apparently you should get this information from another source if you want to find out where the bride/groom are registered. To include this info in your wedding invitation is presumptuous and sends the signal that "you are only being invited to our wedding if you bring a gift."
  • Having a family member give your bridal shower.
  • Apparently, the shower should be arranged and hosted by a friend of the bride, and never a direct family member. It should also not take place in the bride's home or home of a direct family member. Addendum to this is that a bride should never, ever, ever give a bridal shower for herself, in her own home/apartment. Faux-ho-ho-hi-de-ho paux.

    There are others, oh yes. There are many, many others.

    Life can be complicated out here on the prairie.

    No comments: