Tuesday, March 24, 2009

1000 words or more, "What I did over Spring Break" essay

So, how'd your first day back at school after Spring Break go?

I figured it was an innocent enough question. My 9-year old hasn't yet developed the swarmy sarcasm of a text-crazed teenager, so I expected a fairly straightforward answer to my probing query.

Not to be.

As C launched into her retelling of her day, and how she...(taking a deep breath)

...told about a "zillion" kids how the entire family flew to California for Spring Break, stayed with my Mom, went to visit our old house, ate sushi till we barfed, watched Mommy's eyes glaze over at her favorite Thai restaurant as they brought out dish-after-dish of her "deserted-island meal," watched my Mom's treasured dvd of Mamma Mia about a "zillion" times, went to visit several old friends - one of which was C's pre-school heartthrob (she was capital N-ervous), spent a mid-week/hardly-any-crowds day at the OG House of Mouse, spent another where-the-heck-are-the-crowd's day at Knott's, shopped, learned to play Do-Re-Mi on my Mom's piano, ate pastrami dips at The Hat, Hawaiian soul food at Bob's Okazuya, some home cookin' at my Mom's, dim sum from a hole-in-the-wall dive on Garfield Blvd, and along with easily a "zillion" other satisfied customers since 1920, snarffed on the absolutely best fried chicken west of the Rockies at Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant.

There was more, but I'm paraphrasing.

Really, I am.

"So, did any of your other friends do something fun over the break?" was my follow-up question, overly confident that C's description of our whirlwind week in my old stomping grounds was enough to make even the most jaded 3rd grader take notice.

"Well, Madolyn told everyone she got a new heifer and they all thought that was the coolest."

A heifer. Really.

Sorry Gover-nator Schwarzenegger, your golden state may be cool, but in the eyes of my small town's 3rd grader's, a young female cow is the b-o-m-b.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did I tell you about the Mamma Mia? Glad you guys had a blast, can't wait to hear more.

AMomof2 said...

Tell C her week sounds more fun to me. I'd rather have tried dim-sum (never had it before) and what are Pastrami dips?

We can see a heifer any old time.

OKDad said...

Wait...THE GIRLS watched Mamma Mia about a zillion times. I watched it twice - the first time as a bonding exercise with the girl's and my Mom.

The second time under slight duress...although the pain of listening to Pierce Brosnan's attempt at lead vocal hones in a little to close to home, reminiscent of my uninspiring contributions during family long-distance drive sing-alongs.

Luckily (?), I ripped my Mom's cd of the movie soundtrack so the girl's can enjoy it ad infinitum (or ad nauseum) to their hearts content.

Me? I'm a purist. No one beats Agnetha, Benny, Björn and Anni-Frid when belting out vintage Abba tunes.

OKDad said...

KR - follow the link below for a good description of what a pastrami dip is.

Only thing I'd add is that the pastrami must be sliced wafer thin, unlike the traditional New Yorker deli thicker-sliced method.

http://everything2.com/title/Pastrami%2520Dip

AMomof2 said...

Sounds yummy!