Tuesday, November 15, 2005

PTO Net newbies

PTO meeting last night.
Lesson learned: Don't suggest something unless you're prepared to take charge of the very thing you are suggeting.

Since parental participation in actual PTO functions seems to be higher than the number of parents who can/do attend the monthly meetings, I innocently suggested that the PTO could create and maintain a website to help those who were absent but interested, stay in the loop.

You know, a simple site with a calendar of events, contact info, meeting minutes, maybe some pictures from past events.

I haven't faced so many blank stares since I told my friends back home that I was moving to Oklahoma.
Crickets chirped. A cool breeze filtered the air. An infant cried in the distance.

Finally, someone spoke up with an intelligent and appropriate question...

"How do we do that?"

Guess I just volunteed to create a website. Sigh.

The irony of it all was that the PTO meeting was being held, as always, in the school's computer lab. Row upon row of windoze boxes. Sigh.

To wrap this post up with semi-related panache, I received this lovely popup ad the other day and it has become my favorite. Mac users will see the humor. Windoze users may convulse at the site of the word, "Registry."

No comments: