Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ladybugs as Messerschmidts

I have a large mole on my left temple.

It's not growing, not shrinking. It's not offensively large or obscenely noticeable, and I've been meaning to have my doc slice it off for years now, but always seem to forget.

I'm tempted to just do it myself (I've done so with some smaller moles on my neck and a skin tag or two), but this one will require a scalpel of some magnitude and the steady hand of a certified professional to remove with minimal scarring...and pain.

It's spring with a vengeance here. Temps this last weekend hit high 70's, slight breezes kept it cool, and the girls and I planted veggies in the back, ground cover flowers in the front, with only a few blisters to show for it.

Amid this idyllic scenery and setting, I was attacked by seemingly endless wave after wave of ladybugs.

What does my mole and a ladybug mugging have to do with each other you may be asking?

Strange as it may seem, the red and black beetles were all focusing their landing assault on the mole on my temple.

It was ladybug blitzkrieg on the left side of my face.

Dozens of times during the day, I had to flick off the offending red and black beastie that had decided my mole was it's perfect mate ("...such interesting coloration for a fellow beetle.").

Or pehaps my mole looked like a really fat aphid which would provide the lady bug with several meals worth of aphid casserole.

Whatever the reason, next time I go out to do yard work, I'll be using one of my daughters Dora the Explorer or Spongebob band aids to cover up the ladybug bait on my forehead.

No comments: