Friday, January 06, 2006

A bad place to lose a cell phone

You may recall from a previous post that my Father-in-law and I spent a cold day, blowing insulation down our walls and on the upstairs floor.



We got around to laying down the floor boards (carrying 48 - 4x8 sheets of lumber upstairs was NOT fun). It was precarious and almost none of the floor joists were on center - which meant a lot of cutting and trimming the tongue and groove boards - but after a few long days, we had all 1275 square feet of the upstairs floor down.


Of course, I didn't notice that my cell phone had fallen out of my pocket until later in the night, after we had finished laying down the floor. When the house was quiet (about 3:30 in the morning) I called my cell phone, went upstairs and listened.

Yep, you guessed it. It was buried in the insulation, underneath a board in the middle of the room.

Sigh. Only me.

Luckily, we had only tacked the floor down in several places to prevent movement. The major job of screwing in some 1800+ screws to hold the boards down permanently was yet to come.

Facing my Father-in-law the next morning to tell him that we needed to pull up some boards to retrieve my cell phone was one of those things that all guys hate to do -- it was testicle shrinking time, folks. Fortunately, my F-i-l is one of the kindest men in the world. He just smirked and nodded and went ahead with the chore of retrieving my long lost cell phone.

Because of the insulation that blanketed my phone, the ring was very faint to human ears. My 6-year old, however, still has the hearing of a coyote on the hunt, and was able to pinpoint the exact location of the phone beneath the 3/4" floor board.

That's the second valuable item that my house has swallowed and then spit back out for me. You may recall my wedding ring incident.

No comments: