Thursday, June 28, 2007

Little pink houses on the intestate

"He's got an interstate runnin' through his front yard
You know, he think, that he's got it so good."

John Mellencamp, Pink Houses
I've truthfully admitted before that I'm very glad to have transitioned from the "big city" to my small town by finding a house with a 4-lane interstate running up and down at the end of our driveway.

True, it's noisy at times.

Truer still that everyone driving by can tell you exactly what funny logo was on my t-shirt when I stepped out to get the mail this morning.

Sadly true that we can't let the dog run around the front yard unfettered for fear that she may end up stuck between the front grill of Mr. Peterbilt hauling the north half of a doublewide on an early Monday morning.

But to a person like me...

...who spent his childhood looking 150' down a hill at the end of our backyard onto the 10 freeway where it transitions with the 710,
...who lived his early adult years in a condo a mere 100' from the $1 million-a-mile sound-barrier beige cinder block wall that was built along the San Bernardino freeway,
...who carried his blushing bride and two newborn daughters over the threshold of a single-story Spanish-influenced 40's ranch home two blocks from a major offramp of the San Berdo,

...having the sound of traveling vehicles fill the sometimes eerie quiet of my small town is sanity-bringing relief to my citified ears.

No comments: