Friday, September 15, 2006

iPod of a different color

For the last several weeks since the girl's school bells have begun to toll for them at 8:10 a.m., I've been taking some steps to get some morning cardio activity that didn't involve hoisting laundry up and down the stairs.

4379 steps to be precise.

My 35-40 minute walk takes me along a recently completed walking trail, the creation of which is due to the efforts of the non-profit organization on whose board of directors I sit.

I not only talk the talk, I walk the walk. Figure if the people responsible for the walking trails don't even use them, what example are we setting for the good folk of our town that we built the trails for.

My 8:20 a.m. journey begins at the east end of the Baptist Church parking lot, where I leave my car. As with most Baptist Churches in this part of the country, this one has acres and acres of free parking.

More than our WalMart.
More than our high school football stadium.
More than Area 51's Alien Parking Only lot.

It isn't long before my steps start taking on the rhythmic beat of a marching band....literally. See, the walking path takes me directly adjacent to the field where our high school marching band (30 strong) is currently practicing a medley of patriotic tunes.

"Oh beautiful, for spacious skies..."


"Good morning" I say to the lady I've labeled as "Mavis Beacon teaches typing," since she reminds me of a caucasian version of the woman who graced the shrinkwrapped box of the popular learn-to-type computer software. Mavis sports a 1st gen iPod shuffle.

"...what so proudly we hail, at the twilights last gleaming...."


"Great morning, isn't it?" is how I greet "Lady Lone Wolf and Cub" named for the popular manga series. Momma has Apple Earbuds hooked to what I can only conclude is an iPod, but it's tucked away neatly into the jogger stroller that carries her 3-year old.

"...stand beside her, and guide her, thru the night with a light from above..."


"Glad it finally cooled down some..." pops out of my mouth to the elderly woman I've come to know as "Pinky" due to the pink iPod Nano she listens to while stroling along the same path.

35-40 minutes later, I'm getting in my car, wiping away whatever sweat has accumulated on my brow and watching my own private red, white, and blue iPod march off to whichever classes the band members have picked for 2nd period.

I'll be back tomorrow as I'm sure they'll be too. They need the practice as much as I need the exercise.

No comments: