Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sideways Oklahoma



Before you non-Okie's (and resident Okie's for that matter), guffaw and chortle at the thought of there being a thriving and increasingly popular wine growing/making industry here in the land of the red man, know that there were over 5000 acres of vineyards planted around the time of statehood (1907).

Prohibition killed the industry, and it wasn't until the 1980's that the current resurgence in grape vine croppery took root.

I'm not a wino. I'm not a oenophile. I liked the movie Sideways because it was sorta funny and I went to film school with the guy who directed it.

But I am encouraged by the fact that bottle and bottle of award-winning fermented grape juice is coming out of my adopted state.

Cut the cheese, slice the sourdough, pop the cork, let it breath and let the Festivus for the restofus begin.

Kampai!

No comments: