Monday, September 11, 2006

A small town county fair...Part Uno

Some snapshots from our recent county fair....and my observations on them.


My long term goal is to clandestinely infiltrate the small society of folk who get to judge the eating portions of the fair competition, and invoke the judges right to claim whatever he tastes as their own for personal consumption. I'd be swimming in jams, jellies, and preserves. Hey, it could happen.


I don't know what category this collage of moo-cow photos falls under, but I was "udderly" transfixed by the multitude of angles one little girl could invoke to capture the comings and goings and sittings and standings and eatings of a single cow...at least I think it's a single cow. If I make the blanket statement that all light brown cows look to same to me, am I a bovine racist?


This all works for me. From the "How a Paintball works" full-color diagram, to the 4-outlet edison box, complete with heavy duty 3-prong grounded cable, I was thrilled to happen upon this display. Someone give that kid a blue ribbon...oh, someone did. Good. He/she deserved it.


I wonder if anyone would mind if they put these 10 Commandments up in a government courthouse or public building?


Forget robbing the local banking establishment. Grab a few of these handmade quilts and set up a vendor spot at the local swap meet. Ka-ching, ka-ching.

Stay tuned for another installment of....A small town county fair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog thanks to Batesline via Route 66 News. Great stories and I thought several looked quite familiar. I believe several of the ribbons shown belong to my Mom. My parents and my brother and his family live out east of town about 8 miles on the farm. I was back for my family reunion last month and caught my nephew play football last Friday up the road. I am currently working out of state but my family is in Tulsa. A belated welcome to a great place to grow up. I will be checking your site often to keep tabs on what is happening back in my home town.

OKDad said...

Ah, another local boy done good and left the nest.

Is it true, what Burt "Moonlight Graham" Lancaster's character says about his home town in "Field of Dreams"...

"This is my most special place in all the world, Ray. Once a place touches you like this, the wind nevers blows so cold again. You feel for it, like it was your child."