Friday, May 06, 2005

Freeway shootings and Hay bales

Actually caught a glimpse of CNN last night and was depressed to hear about all the freeway shootings going on in LA. Sad.

Big news around these parts is that the the lack of rain has forced most of the wheat farmers around here to cut and bale their wheat, rather than harvest it.

I don't know the economic ramifications of this, if any, to the local communities, but I know the farmers that hang out at the local Daylight Donut shop (open from 5 a.m.-11 a.m.) don't seem none to happy about it.

What you do see around town is a lot of pick up trucks with 4 foot long steel spikes jutting out the back and into the air. I've been told these are used to hydraulically lift the rolled bales of hay, which, if you ask me, is asking way too much from a small set of hydraulic lifts and a 1-ton pick up. Even a Hemi.

The large round bales are 4 - 6 feet in diameter and can contain between 1000 to 2000 pounds of hay (roughly the equivalent of 20 to 45 small square bales).

Too bad I'm allergic to hay, otherwise, I'd see about welding one of these spike bale lifters onto my Civic and hiring myself out. Couldn't look any worse than some of these cars.

No comments: